MICHAEL PROCTOR has admitted he could fully understand Wrexham fans’ reaction at the final whistle of Saturday’s 2-0 home defeat to Hereford United.
A chorus of boos rang out across the Racecourse as Wrexham slipped to defeat in disappointing fashion, and followed quickly on the back of the Dragons dismal second-half showing against Premier League outfit Aston Villa in midweek – in which they crashed to a 5-0 defeat.
Manager Brian Carey has himself admitted he too would have booed had he paid his money and sat in the crowd as a spectator, and his sentiments were echoed by striker Proctor.
The striker, who joined the Racecourse club in the summer after being released by Hartlepool, said: “Obviously it is disappointing with the points we had on the board before Saturday’s game, because we felt we should have a few more than that. We have put in some good performances and probably should have picked up a few more points than we have already.
“We lost to a wonder strike at Bradford, which you can’t really do that much about, but we have felt that we have put in a good 45 minutes in every game we’ve played so far. Until Saturday that is.
“Saturday was a big disappointment. We just didn’t perform at all. Like I said we’ve performed well for 45 minutes at least in every game so far, even the Villa game, and we have got to take the positives out of that and learn from our mistakes.
“So we have played well in games, but on Saturday I don’t think anyone could really hold their hands up and say they had a good game and if that happens then it is simple, you don’t win football matches.”
Proctor, who is the Dragons’ top scorer so far this campaign with three goals (two league and one League Cup strike) came off midway through the second half of the defeat and was a disappointed spectator as Trevor Benjamin smashed home a second to wrap up the points for the visitors.
And he explained he too would have been booing had he paid his money to watch the performance.
“The fans pay their money and are entitled to their opinion,” he said. “I think I would have booed as well because we know we didn’t perform. But now we’ve got to make sure it doesn’t happen again. We didn’t play well, we know that and we have to learn from it rather than let it get to us.”
The Dragons are now left with a two-week break because of international call ups to Steve Evans, Chris Llewellyn and Mark Jones, and Proctor recognised it was disappointing not to be able to get back out and put Saturday’s defeat behind them.
But more importantly with the Dragons sitting second from bottom and back in the relegation zone, Wrexham could see themselves propping up the whole Football League by the time they get to competitive action at home with Rotherham on September 15.
“It is just unfortunate we have now got a break and we can’t get straight back into another game,” he said.
“But it’s a bit too premature for people to be talking about relegation just yet. Don’t judge us now in September, judge us when it comes to April and May.”
Meanwhile, Wrexham boss Carey will have another chance to take a look at a number of returning players this afternoon as the reserves take on Carlisle United (2pm) at the Racecourse.
Included in the line up will be Juan Ugarte, Matty Crowell, Josh Johnson, Gareth Evans and Silvio Spann.