FIREFIGHTERS say two people escaped with their lives following a kitchen fire at their house in York Street, Runcorn, during the early hours of Tuesday.
Both residents were asleep as the fire took hold in their cooker which had been accidentally left on.
One resident was outside the property when crews arrived, the other was led to safety.
A Fire Service spokesman said: “Had it not been for the fact that a fully operational smoke alarm alerted the residents, this could have been a life-threatening situation for both people involved.”
He added that the incident further reinforced the importance of having at least one fully operational and correctly sited smoke detector on each floor of the home and a suitable escape plan in place.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service offers households the fitting of free smoke alarms and fire safety advice in the form of a Home Fire Safety Assessment. Call 0800 3890053.