TWO men have admitted a charge of perverting the course of justice relating to the murder investigation of widow Elsie Hughes.
Charles Jones, 32, of Alyn Road, Buckley, and John Andrew Thomas, 37, of Rhuddlan Court in Ellesmere Port, appeared at Mold Crown Court last week and pleaded guilty to the charge.
They accepted that between September 1, 2005, and March 7, 2006, they gave false information to North Wales Police when they were involved in a murder enquiry relating to a blue Ford Escort van registration number N960 KFX, and concealed material evidence by disposing of the van.
Defending barristers Steven Everett and John Hedgecoe asked that the two men be sentenced and said it was accepted they would receive custodial sentences.
But Judge Nicholas Woodward refused and adjourned the case for a week.
Both were remanded in custody in the meantime.
The judge said the papers in the case had not been delivered to court and he would need to read the 1,200 pages of witness statements before he could sentence.
Mr Everett, for Jones, said the basis of his plea was accepted by the prosecution.
But Gareth Parry, prosecuting, said he would have to consult the senior police investigating officer before he could say whether the basis of plea from Thomas was acceptable.
No details of the case against them were given.
Retired school cook Elsie Hughes, 90, died a day after being attacked in her home in Hawarden Road, Abermorddu, near Wrexham, in
September of last year.
Detectives said about £200 had been stolen from the victim's home, who was known to everyone locally as Aunty Elsie.