WREXHAM'S Trinidad internationals Carlos Edwards and Hector Sam will enjoy the full benefits of freedom of contract next summer after being granted UK residency, which means they no longer need work permits to play in British football.
The pair, who joined the Racecourse club in the summer of 2000, will both be free agents when their current two-year deals run out at the end of this season. Before their change in status was confirmed this week, neither player could move elsewhere unless new work permits were also issued.
With Wrexham currently in administration, Dragons boss Denis Smith faces a frustrating few months in trying to agree new deals with those players he wants to keep at the club beyond the end of the season.
Joint administrator David Acland spelt out Smith's dilemma, saying: "We'd like to tie up contracts sooner rather than later but the reality is that the players involved are going to want to keep their options open.
"We cannot make too many forward plans because we don't know what the future holds for the club. It's not an ideal situation to be in, either for the manager or the players, but unfortunately it's a case of suck it and see."
Chester boss Ian Rush tried to sign striker Sam, along with compatriot and Wrexham team-mate Dennis Lawrence, earlier in the season while Stockport County also showed an interest last term.
The Dragons have already turned down a sizeable offer from Preston for wing-back Edwards - currently recovering from medial ligament damage - with several other Championship sides said to be keeping an eye on his progress.
The Trinidad pair's agent Mike Berry revealed that his clients were pleased to be granted residency status, saying: "They are delighted about the news after five years of hard work in the UK.
"They are grateful to the directors and fans at the club for all their support, as well as to the people of Wrexham who have helped them since they arrived in the area."
Meanwhile, Chris Llewellyn yesterday confirmed his intention to see out the remaining 18 months of his contract at the Racecourse - further distancing himself from a move to home-town club Swansea.
The 25-year-old utility player said he was as surprised as anyone to read a story in a South Walian newspaper linked him with an imminent move to The Vetch Field.
"I was given a few days off earlier in the week and went home to Swansea, " said Llewellyn. "I went to watch Swan-sea's FA Cup replay against Stockport County on Tuesday night and I suppose one or two people made assumptions that just aren't true."
Llewellyn, an ever-present in the Dragons' league line-up since he moved from Norwich in the summer of 2003, said Wrexham's financial problems had probably added fuel to the flames.
But he added: "It might be a different situation if I was going to be out of contract this summer but I have another year after this and I'm optimistic that things will work out for the best at Wrexham.
"When the administrators came in they told all the players they would not have taken the job if they felt they could not turn things round and, with all the talks now about a takeover, it looks as though the club will be safe."
Insisting that Denis Smith's players were simply keen to get on with the task of making up the 10-point penalty deduction, Llewellyn said: "What's been happening is bound to be in the back of our minds but if things are now being looked after off the pitch, we have to look after them on it.
"There is no real major concern and we've had some good results and some bad ones in recent weeks. It was a poor performance by our standards at Milton Keynes last week but all the lads are keen to bounce back in the right manner against Hartlepool on Saturday because it's important that we get back on track."