Wrexham 1 Woking 1

DEAN Saunders pulled no punches after a defensive disaster cost the Dragons another two points in their push for promotion from the Blue Square Premier on Sunday.

There were 18 minutes remaining when captain Ashley Westwood and Mike Williams made a complete hash of a routine ball into the box to allow Tom Denton to cancel out Marc Williams’ first-half opener and earn the relegation-threatened but improving Cards a precious point.

The centre-backs have been two of the best performers of Saunders’ impressive Racecourse reign. But the boss offered them no hiding place after their uncharacteristic error ensured Wrexham’s frustrating Christmas continued.

Saunders said: “It was Sunday League defending, that’s all I can describe it as. It was a calamity and it was the type of defending that got this club where it is. And, as a manager, I just can’t tolerate that.”

Just as costly was Saunders’ side’s inability to kill off determined but ordinary opponents after Marc Williams put them in front with his 13th goal of the season.

Although they did not carve out as many chances as they did in the 1-1 Boxing Day draw at Barrow – which would be hard for any team to do – they still should have made it five league home victories from five for Saunders.

The Dragons, cheered on by a healthy 4,803 crowd, bossed the first half and could have broken the deadlock through Westwood and Nathan Woolfe before Marc Williams did just that in the 24th minute as he headed in Wes Baynes’ corner.

Woking had opportunities of their own, though, with Delano Sam-Yorke and Daniel Spence failing to hit the target when well placed and Gavin Ward doing well to keep out Wilfried Domoraud.

Goalkeeper Ward was impressive throughout but the man-of-the-match honours should go to Andy Fleming. The maturing midfielder, who is now adding steel to his game, was a driving force in a second half in which Jonathan Brown was twice denied certain goals by brave blocks and new boy Ryan Flynn brought a top stop out of Simon Eastwood.

And, after substitute Denton wasted an excellent opening at the other end, Eastwood was at it again as he brilliantly turned Jefferson Louis’ diving header on to the bar.

But the ridiculous followed the sublime as indecision from Westwood and Mike Williams was duly punished by the giant Denton.

And it would have got worse for Wrexham had Ward not produced a stunning save from Matt Pattison.

But the final word went to Eastwood as he got down low to his left to turn aside Marc Williams’ injury-time effort.