THE RSPCA has issued a warning about the dangers of antifreeze following a spate of cat poisoning incidents in the region.
Up to 15 cats have been involved in incidents in the Deeside, Chirk and Ruabon areas in past few weeks and three of the animals died after ingesting a liquid believed to be antifreeze.
RSPCA inspector Chris Dunbar said: “I can’t remember so many incidents of cat poisonings in such a short period of time.
“We are however, keeping an open mind at the moment. It could be the cats have been targeted maliciously or it could be that someone is simply unaware of the potential hazard to cats when they are pouring the liquid away.
“Whatever the circumstances, we want to warn all cat owners of the dangers of anti- freeze poisoning.”
Although cats like the sweet taste of antifreeze, once they ingest the substance they suffer kidney failure within a few days.
Chris added: “Effective treatment is only available if caught within the first 24 hours, but this is not normally possible as the cat shows no sign of being unwell within this time.”