LEESWOOD'S Simon Spender says he aims to nail down a place in Wrexham's first team next season, writes Paul Wheelock .
The versatile 19-year-old defender put pen to paper on his first professional contract last Friday.
Since making his first-team debut against Plymouth in 2003-04, Spender has made more than 25 appearances in a Reds shirt, 13 of which came last season.
Spender, who is a former Flint-shire Schools player and Castell Alun High School pupil, said he never had any intentions of ending his long association with the Dragons.
He said: 'I'm very pleased to have signed a professional contract because I've been with Wrexham since I was 11.
'I played 13 games last season and I thought I gave a good account of myself. Once I was offered the contract, there was no hesitation on my part because I never wanted to leave.
'We've been relegated but with the players we've got here, and the players who we're hoping will stay with us, I think we'll be strong candidates to get back up.
'My aim is to be involved in more games. My favoured position is wide right, so with Carlos Edwards going, there may be a vacancy as we play 3-5-2. But I'll play wherever the boss asks me. I've moved around the defence and it's a great experience. I'm looking to build on that.' nWrexham assistant boss Kevin Russell says talks are ongoing with two potential newcomers.
With boss Denis Smith on holiday, Russell is holding the fort. He said he was expecting to hear from the duo shortly.
One of the targets was identified by Smith as a 24-year-old right back who played in the Championship last season. But Wrexham now face competition for the player from Sheffield Wednesday, who won promotion through the League One play-offs on Monday.
Meanwhile, the agent of former Wales Under 21 striker Mathew Tipton says Wrexham are after his client.
Bangor-born Tipton, 24, has been released by Macclesfield Town, despite banging 14 goals in 2004-05.
His agent Wayne Elsey said: 'Darlington, Mansfield, Wrexham, Swansea and Cheltenham have expressed an interest.' nWrexham fans have been asked to be patient over the arrangement of new season tickets.
Supporters have not been able to renew or buy them yet because the Football League needs assurances from the Dragons they will be able to fulfil all of their fixtures next season.
But after Wrexham's administrators confirmed the club would not be evicted from their Race-course Ground home next month, they have now begun discussions with the league over plans for the 2005-06 campaign. nKeith Curle has made his first signings as Chester City boss.
Curle, who made 20 of his 29-man squad available after taking over the Blues in April, raided former club Mansfield Town for defender Scott McNiven and brought in striker Marcus Richardson.
Right back McNiven, 27, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer late last year but has now made a full recovery, said: 'Once Keith was interested there was only one place I wanted to go. The illness has made me more determined. I'm looking forward to getting fully fit for the start.'
Richardson, 27, is known to Blues fans, having been sent off while playing for Lincoln against Chester in the 1-1 draw at Sincil Bank last season.
After a loan spell with Rochdale, fiery 6ft 3in Richardson joined Yeovil in March. His departure from Lincoln came shortly after an alleged bust-up with teammate Ciaran Toner. nMeanwhile, Carl Regan has put pen to paper on a new 12-month deal.
The 24-year-old full back was playing on non-contract terms with the Blues last season.