TODAY, if you are ill or injured you can go to the Wrexham Maelor Hospital for treatment in one of its specialist wards.
Since 1737 the town's sick have had 17 hospitals and a book by former Wrexham Maelor nurse Joan Chaloner entitled Wrexham Hospitals - a pictorial record traces the history of healthcare in the area.
In the early days the hospital was part of the workhouse on Salop Road. In 1833 Wrexham Dispensary was opened as the first purpose-built health facility in the town by Dr Thomas Taylor Griffith.
The dispensary was located on Yorke Street next to the Wynnstay Vaults. For a penny a week a family could subscribe to the dispensary and receive care.
In 1837 workhouse masters were charged with care of their workers and Croesnewydd Workhouse was built. In 1896 the infirmary was put up as an extension to it by the Wrexham Board of Guardians.
One year later Wrexham's first real hospital was opened by Dr Griffith. Wrexham Infirmary had surgeons and consultant physicians, initially treating only outpatients.
Throughout the 1800s various hospitals were built to isolate those with fever and tuberculosis, but the First World War saw Wrexham Hospitals move up a gear.
Croesnewydd Infirmary - no longer a workhouse - admitted 101 Belgian Army soldiers on November 1, 1914. Trainee nurses worked on the casualties to learn their trade.
By the end of the war 1,732 soldiers had been treated at Croesnewydd, just 10 had died and 11 had limbs amputated.
The next leap for hospital care in Wrexham was sparked by World War Two. As well as the American Air Force Hospital and Polish War Hospital, there was Plas Maelor.
When it opened in 1934, Plas Maelor was a home for the elderly and infirm, but it became an Emergency Medical Services Hospital in 1939, in anticipation of Second World War casualties. It was run by Croesnewydd matron Nellie Parry and Assistant Matron Sarah Williams.
After the war, Plas Maelor became the Maelor General Hospital and worked alongside the War Memorial Hospital until June 1986 when the latter closed, paving the way for the Maelor's £14.5m development.
The book also tells the story of the North Wales Sanatorium at Llangwyfan, Llangollen Cottage Hospital and many more. nWrexham Hospitals - a pictorial record is published by Bridge Books and is available at book shops and Wrexham Maelor Hospital priced £12.99. All profits from the book will go to Nightingale House Hospice.