A FORMER RAF officer could have been exposed to the asbestos that eventually killed him while in the air force.
James Hampson Jones, 72, of Dale Avenue, Little Sutton, died after being exposed to asbestos – but an inquest could not determine when or where.
Mr Jones was stationed at various places in the UK and abroad from 1958 until the early 1970s while serving as a telecommunications officer in the RAF including Hooton Park airfield.
Mr Jones succumbed to disseminated mesothelioma on October 10, 2009.
At an inquest on Thursday, April 15, coroner for Cheshire Nicholas Rheinberg told Chester Magistrates Court: “I think it unlikely the latter time spent at the hanger at Hooton would have led to exposure to asbestos. I suppose it is possible the earlier time there may have been the time he was exposed.
“Without any direct evidence of exposure, my only course is to return an open verdict.
“It is unfortunate that he died without knowing the cause of his final illness.”