A PET dog who saved her owner’s life during a gas leak in their home has been nominated for an award.
Nine-year-old cross-breed Poppy Louise raised the alarm when owner Victoria Shaw was asleep.
Victoria, from Wrexham, said: “I had gone to bed one night on a cold November evening in 2005, putting on the gas fire to warm up my bungalow.
“Shortly after falling asleep I was woken by my little dog Poppy Louise whimpering and digging at me, she wouldn’t stop until I sat up at which point the smell of gas was overwhelming.
“Covering Poppy Louise’s face with my dressing gown, I hurried out of the house and pressed my care call button.
“My carer told me to stay out of the house.”
She added: “Later a gas man arrived and explained there had been a leaking valve at the back of the fire and that if I hadn’t been woken I would probably have died.
“Poppy Louise saved my life.”
Poppy is now in the running for the Dogged Devotion award in the national Dogs Trust Honours 2009 – the canine version of the Pride of Britain Awards.
The shortlisted dogs will be announced by April 28.
Nominations can be made until midnight on April 15 at www.dogstrusthonours.co.uk.