A PENSIONER was recovering yesterday after a lucky escape from a bedroom fire at her home.
Phyllis Wright, 84, suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation after the blaze in her downstairs bedroom at her dormer bungalow.
The fire is believed to have been started by an electrical fault but it is unclear what the equipment was. It badly damaged the bedroom and the rest of the house with smoke.
Mrs Wright, of Meadows View, Marford, near Wrexham, was going to bed at about 11pm on Monday when she saw the flash of flames on her bed clothes.
She reached out when she saw the flames and was scolded by the heat, before she rushed out to contact a neighbour who called the fire and rescue service.
Mrs Wright was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital, but was released and is staying with friends.
Paul Whybro, Wrexham county safety manager, said: "It is important to switch off non essential electrical appliances when not in use.”