WREXHAM manager Denis Smith says his men will hold 'no fear' of anyone in League Two this season.
The Dragons begin their campaign when Boston United visit the Race-course on Saturday.
Having been relegated from League One last term, Smith has seen a number of his biggest names depart.
But the boss, who's been involved in football for the best part of 40 years, says he won't be dwelling on the past.
He said: 'There's no point going into the season with fear. If you go into it thinking about the problems you've had or the problems that might arise then you've got no chance.
'I've been pleased with how the play-ers have done in pre-season. There's still work to be done before I'm completely happy but I've been encouraged by what I've seen.'
Despite the loss of top-scorer Juan Ugarte, Welsh internationals Craig Morgan, Chris Llewellyn and Steve Roberts, plus Trinidad duo Carlos Edwards and Hector Sam, bookies are tipping Wrexham as one of the favourites to go up.
The Reds were only relegated from League One after the Football League imposed a 10-points deduction on them for going into administration.
The 2004-05 campaign also saw Smith's men win the LDV Vans Trophy at the Millennium Stadium.
So the boss - who guided Wrexham to promotion from the bottom rung of the Football League ladder in 2002-03 - understands why his team is being backed. But he refuses to be drawn into the prediction game.
He said: 'Some people may look at us like that but what they have to realise is that there have been a lot of changes to last season's squad.
'I've got faith in the lads we've got here and we are determined to do well, but I can't tell you what will happen.
'All I can do is prepare my team in the best way possible and let other managers worry about their own team.'
Wrexham returned from their pre-season tour of Northern Ireland on Saturday night.
The six-day trip gave new boys Michael Ingham, Dave Bayliss, Lee Roche, Lee McEvilly and Jon Walters chance to bed into the 18-man squad.
With the club being in administration, Wrexham cannot employ more than 20 first-team players. So with two spaces remaining, Smith is keen to bring in another defender and attacker - ideally before Saturday's curtain-raiser.
Spanish centre-back Alvaro Parra has joined on trial, but Wales Under 21 international forward Dylan Hughes will not be joining him after picking up an injury.
With his options limited, Smith will ask his players to play in a variety of positions this season.
And he's been impressed with the likes of Dean Bennett, who has been a revelation since moving up front.
Smith's major worry is at the other end, with back-up keeper Michael Jones suffering a knock last week - leaving the boss with just the one fit goalie. It was a situation he was trying to remedy as the Mail went to press.
Young defender Mike Williams and veteran Jim Whitley have also been receiving treatment.
Also as the Mail was going to press, Wrexham were preparing for assistant manager Kevin Russell's testimonial. See next week's edition for details.
Saturday's opponents Boston were also in action on Tuesday at Alfreton Town, in what was also their final friendly before the big kick-off.
Boston's finish last season, 16th, spurred boss Steve Evans into action.
He's brought in eight new players, including ex-Premiership strikers Julian Joachim and Noel Whelan.
Wrexham chief Smith reckons Boston could be in the promotion shake-up.
He said: 'They've spent a lot of money in the summer and I think they're going to go for it this season.'