TO HELP keep you warm this winter, make a note of these top 10 money-saving tips:
1. Check whether you can save money by changing your energy supplier. If you want to find out more, contact one of the Beat the Chill officers for more details.
2. It is recommended that you set your thermostat to 21°C during the day. Turning down your thermostat by just 1°C could reduce your energy bill by 10%.
3. Set heating to switch on just before you get up and switch off after you have gone to bed. If it is very cold, set heating to come on earlier and go off later, rather than turning up the heating.
4. Set your hot water to a temperature between 43-60°C.
5. Reduce draughts by keeping doors closed and only heat rooms that you are using.
6. Use energy-saving light bulbs where possible. Remember to turn lights off when you are not in the room.
7. At night, close your curtains or blinds to help keep the heat inside your home.
8. When using your kettle only boil the amount of water that you need to use. When cooking, select the correct saucepan size, only use the water that you need and use a pan lid.
9. Use a microwave where possible as they use less energy than conventional ovens.
10. Switch off appliances when not in use, rather than leaving them on standby.