A 25-YEAR-OLD man was taken to hospital with burns after pouring petrol on a gas barbecue in Wrexham.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said charcoal and petrol was used as the barbecue was running out of gas.
As soon as the petrol and charcoal were thrown on it it flared up, igniting the man’s vest and causing burns to his chest, abdomen, arms and hands.
The injured man was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital with burns to his upper body. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The ambulance service was called to the incident in Montrose Garden, Caia Park, at about 11pm on Saturday.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service are now urging people to take heed of fire safety warnings.
John Berry, station manager at Wrexham, said: “Using petrol on a barbecue is a very dangerous practice and this man is lucky not to have suffered extremely serious burns.
“Having a barbecue should be a safe and enjoyable experience, however the consequences of not paying attention to a few safety rules can be catastrophic.”
Firefighters visited the Caia Park area on Sunday, to distribute leaflets and issue barbecue and fire safety advice to local residents.