COUNCILLOR Malcolm Byram was anxious to assure us (Views, December 12) no decision had been taken on whether to site an incinerator at Lostock Gralam.
I am sure he is honest and means what he says, but a little over three years ago the Chronicle ran an article speculating on evidence provided by workers at the site that it was, even back then, a done deal.
Brunner Mond, of course, denied it strenuously and if I say, “Well, they would, wouldn’t they?” it is because I was one of the two workers the paper spoke to at the time.
That it was a ‘done deal’ was confirmed to us by someone high up in the company management. The name and position still impresses me.
Our information was that the Government will railroad through plans for an incinerator no matter what our councils say.
I stand by my information that preparatory work was being done as long ago as September/October 2004.
The regular workers were kept away from the contractors working on the infrastructure. But, of course, they could not stop tongues wagging and it soon became accepted by the workforce that that was where an incinerator was going to be. It’s just taken longer than anyone thought.
I said then it was all cut and dried and still believe it to be the case.
We shall see.
(Full name and address supplied)