WREXHAM defender Simon Spender has no intention of quitting the League Two club and is determined to finally establish himself as a first-team regular next season.
The 21-year-old product of the Racecourse school of excellence has yet to sign the new deal he’s been offered by manager Brian Carey, but yesterday he made it clear he sees his future with the Dragons.
“We are still taking over one or two details, but I’m definitely staying put,” he said.
“From the time Brian took over as boss in January, I had a good run of matches either wide on the right or at full-back and I want to push on again next year hold down a regular place in the team.”
Since making his full league debut aged 18 in April 2004, Spender has progressively started more and more games each season. In his first season he started three, nine and then 13 matches followed by 23 in the campaign just ended.
But he agreed he was now of an age to perform consistently over the course of a season and said he was already looking forward to pre-season training, which gets fully under way on Monday, July 2.
“Since the end of the season we have signed three or four new faces, which is great because the squad was too small last year,” he added.
“Once we picked up a few injuries, we were always going to be struggling, but with a few more bodies around we should be able to cope much better.
“For me personally it’s going to be a big season because I feel I should be doing enough to play every week and I’d like to be part of a successful team.
“We cannot afford another disaster like the one we’ve just gone through and I think everyone at the club realises that as well.
“Everything that has happened off the field in the past 12 months demonstrates that the club is geared up for a better future. The training facilities have been improved even more, we’re getting more equipment and the whole place is looking brighter and more positive.
“It suggests the club is moving in the right direction, the new lads who have signed will strengthen an already decent squad and I can’t wait to get back for pre-season training at the end of the month.”
Meanwhile, new capture Richard Hope admits he can finally enjoy a well-earned summer break after passing a medical at the Racecourse Ground.
Hope skippered Shrewsbury to the brink of promotion in the season just ended but was released in the wake of the club’s League Two play-off final defeat against Bristol Rovers.
Now, having proved his fitness to the Dragons, he will officially sign a three-year deal with Brian Carey’s men on July 1.
“Now this is out of the way, I can concentrate on looking for a house and settling my family into their new surroundings.
“Pre-season training is only a few short weeks away and after only playing my last game 10 days ago, a short break would not go amiss.”