THE mother of an 18-year-old who was found dead in a lake in the grounds of a hotel is demanding answers after it was claimed staff kicked the teenager out without his coat or wallet.

Haydn Evans, from Mold, failed to return home from his work Christmas party at Carden Park Hotel in Broxton, near Chester, on December 16.

After an intensive two-week search in which time his step-sister Jade Conway, of Ellesmere Port, made an emotional appeal for his safe return, his body was found in a lake on the hotel’s 1,000-acre estate by police divers.

His devastated mum, Lynsey Bell, told the Pioneer she wanted the hotel, part of the De Vere Hotels chain, called to account for failing in its duty of care.

She said police officers had told her Haydn, who worked for Mold-based MPH Construction, had been led off the dance floor by security after being involved in an altercation with another guest.

She said: “He was escorted round to the front of the premises and had then tried to go back in and asked for his coat and wallet, which you’d think would be normal as it was -2ºC and he lived more than 20 miles away, but according to police, he was refused by one of the managers on duty.

“That was at about 11.45pm and that was the last time Haydn was seen alive.”

A spokeswoman for Cheshire Constabulary confirmed Haydn had been escorted from the dance floor but said: “We do not have confirmed evidence that he wanted to return inside for the articles but was prevented from doing so.”

Haydn was due to get on a minibus home at midnight, just 15 minutes after he was asked to leave, but never turned up for his lift.

Mrs Bell, who lives in Coedpoeth, near Wrexham, has written to the chief executive of De Vere Hotels to demand answers, but said she was taking legal advice on what to do next.

She also raised concerns about safety around the lake, which was not cordoned off or lit.

She said: “He probably didn’t even know there was a lake there. He had his phone with him and his secret Santa gift was in his pocket when they found him.”

She added: “The hotel had a duty of care and quite frankly I do not think it was a reasonable action to leave him outside without his belongings. I’m not saying the hotel is directly responsible for what happened but after their actions, consequentially, my son is dead.”

She was told by police that when Haydn was asked to leave he was not aggressive or violent and posed no threat to staff.

A spokesman for Carden Park Hotel said: “Our thoughts are very much with Haydn’s family at this difficult time.

“We would not wish to pre-empt the findings of a coroner’s inquest or police investigation through any further comment and continue to liaise closely with the police and assist them in any way we can.”