THE grief-stricken father of a four-year-old Northwich girl who died after accidentally setting herself on fire killed himself five months later, an inquest heard.
Dad-of-four Daniel Taylor, 27, began drinking heavily after his daughter Chloe’s death in October, 2007. And on February 11 Mr Taylor, who lived in Middlewich, torched himself in the garage at his mum’s house.
After being dragged out of the blaze by heroic passers-by he was rushed to Leighton Hospital with 45% burns, and later transferred to Whiston Hospital, Merseyside. But he died of multiple organ failure two days later.
Little Chloe, who lived with mum Katie Bland on Greenall Road, accidentally set herself on fire with a cigarette lighter the morning she was due to start at Victoria Road Primary School.
She suffered 60% burns and, after more than a dozen operations, died at Booth Hall Children’s Hospital, Manchester on October 6.
The inquest, held before assistant coroner for Cheshire Dr Janet Napier at Crewe’s Municipal Buildings on September 19, heard Chloe’s tragic death brought on Mr Taylor’s depression.
His mother, Miriam Taylor, said: “He just went to pieces. He was drinking before anyway but when that happened he just lost all sense of reason and totally lost the plot.”
Dr Napier ruled Mr Taylor took his own life when he was in an unstable frame of mind.