WREXHAM firefighters are stepping up their efforts to reduce the number of fires in the county by staging a two-day event at the North East Wales Institute's (NEWI) Techniquest Science Centre.
In response to an alarming number of chip pan fires in Wrexham in the past six months, fire-fighters will be on hand today and tomorrow (Friday) to offer the public free fire safety advice, including chip pan demonstrations, and give youngsters the chance to experience a real smoke situation in the 'Smoke Tent'.
The event is part of Wrexham Fire Station's Community Fire Safety initiative, which aims to educate the public about fire safety.
Firefighter Stuart Jones said: 'This event is a great opportunity to raise public awareness of fire safety. It will be a good chance for people to see the fire safety exhibitions and what we do, and hopefully gain some useful safety advice.'
For more information about the day call (01978) 263518.
The news comes just days after the latest chip pan-related fire left two casualties suffering from smoke inhalation at a house fire in Plas Madoc Estate, Acrefair, on Friday, July 25.
Senior Fire Safety Officer Dai Roberts said: 'The cause of this fire was confirmed to be a chip pan left unattended. This is following a trend that is extremely worrying for the Fire Service in North Wales.
'We cannot overemphasise the importance of not leaving any cooking or kitchen appliances unattended. It only takes a few seconds for an unattended pan or cooker to ignite and develop into a serious and life-threatening fire.'