NORTH Wales Fire and Rescue Service is warning residents to ensure electrical appliances are switched off when not in use, after an 83-year-old woman suffered burns and had her bedroom destroyed in an electrical fire.
Wrexham firefighters were called to the property, in Meadows View, Marford, at 11.02pm on Monday.
The pensioner had been going to bed when she saw the flash of flames on her bedclothes.
She reached out her hands and was scolded by the heat, before leaving the house and contacting a neighbour, who called the fire service.
She suffered from burns to her hands and smoke inhalation and was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.
The fire destroyed the downstairs bedroom and caused smoke damage to the rest of the property.
The cause is thought to be electrical.
Paul Whybro, county safety manager for Wrexham, said: “To be as safe as possible in your home, it is important to remember to switch off non-essential electrical appliances when not in use.
“As well as saving on electricity, this can dramatically cut the risk of fire in your home.”