BOY playing with a lighter is thought to have started a blaze which ripped through his family's home.
Firefighters were called to the council-owned house at Ogwen in Plas Madoc, just before 7pm on Sunday.
The five-year-old boy, who firefighters believe accidentally started the fire, had been upstairs in a bedroom.
A smoke detector which activated downstairs alerted the family's eldest child, who quickly raised the alarm.
The father then had just enough time to rescue the boy, his siblings and the family pets from the blazing house.
All the occupants - both parents, five children plus the family's four cats, hamster and rat - escaped from the property with no injuries or burns.
Two crews from Wrexham and a crew from Johnstown attended the fire.
The upstairs of the property was severely damaged by the fire.
Phil Owen, Wrexham Fire Station manager, said: 'This fire is thought to have been started by a young boy playing with a lighter.
'It's vitally important parents ensure such items as cigarette lighters and matches are kept out of reach of children.
'Luckily, in this instance, fire alarms alerted the family and all occupants were able to escape while the fire was in its very early stages.
'This is an excellent example of how smoke alarms save lives.'
Wrexham County Borough Council is understood to be liaising with the traumatised family in an effort to sort out their current housing needs but a spokesman said they were unable to comment further.
The family have not been named.