DOZENS of families were evacuated after a fire sparked by gas cylinders on a housing estate near Wrexham.
A 200-metre cordon was set up after the blaze started in a garage in Gwersyllt at 12.30pm last Tuesday, July 22.
Houses were evacuated in the Ashbourne Avenue and Carlton Drive area as firefighters tried to cool the cylinders, including some containing highly explosive acetylene.
Police said 34 houses were evacuated and, while most families stayed with friends or relatives, four people were put up in a nearby community centre.
One fire crew remained at the scene overnight cooling down the cylinders which contained different highly-flammable gases, including oxygen, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and acetylene.
Among those evacuated were Phil and Sandra Partington. They were forced to spend the night at their daughter’s house a short distance away.
Sandra said: “It was frightening.
“We had to leave the house and move down the street. The police kept moving us further and further back.
“We had to leave the house wide open but there were plenty of police around.
“Late at night we were allowed back into the houses to pick up some stuff and to lock up. It was frightening walking down the street knowing the cylinders could blow up at any moment.”
A North Wales Fire Service spokeswoman said the process of cooling the gas cylinders was completed shortly after 2pm.
But officers remained at the scene to carry our a detailed fire investigation.
North Wales Fire and Rescue service sent two crews and an aerial ladder platform to the incident. A spokeswoman said the cause of the fire was an electrical fault on an air compressor in the garage.