A JURY at Shrewsbury Crown Court has found an Ellesmere teenager not guilty of racially abusing an Ellesmere kebab shop owner during an incident at the shop in November last year.
The jury was out for only 15 minutes before acquitting 18- year-old Scott Beaton of Beech Drive on a charge of causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress to Mr Omed Hussain.
Prosecutor Andrew Barkley alleged that Beaton passed the shop about 11pm and banged on the window, then verbally abused Mr Hussain inside and outside the shop before inviting him to fight.
Defence counsel Simon Parry said Beaton accepted that he had been shouting and using threatening language, but was adamant there was no racial element in what was said.
Full story in Thursday’s Herald.