A MAN from Ellesmere Port who raped a 13-year-old girl has been jailed for nine years.
Sean Smith, 23, was convicted by a jury at Chester Crown Court last Wednesday of raping the girl at his flat in Sutton Way in 2007 after escorting her there late one night.
On hearing the jury’s verdict, Smith erupted in the dock and began shouting and screaming, leading Judge David Hale to send him down to the cells.
Prosecuting, Matthew Dunford said Smith took the girl to his flat after she had been at a fair in Ellesmere Port.
Once there, he committed the sexual offence, despite pleas from her to stop.
After the rape, the victim then had to make her way home, and she told a relative about what had happened.
Smith was arrested but skipped bail in 2007, only handing himself in to police in December 2009.
Defending, Patrick Thompson said Smith admitted seeing the victim, but had denied there was any sexual contact.
In mitigation, Mr Thompson added Smith had attended every bail session since December 2009, and the rape incident had been a single offence with not many aggravating factors.
Judge Hale, however, said: “There was some violence, and he had agreed to walk her home, that was an aggravating factor.”
Sentencing Smith to nine years in prison on Friday, less the 53 days he had spent on remand, Judge Hale said: “When you saw her that night you agreed to escort her home, to take care of her.
“You took her to your flat and raped her, and left her to make her own way home.”
Smith was also banned from working with children for life and must sign the sex offenders register.