A FAMILY escaped injury after food left unattended in an oven went up in flames at a house in West Road, Ellesmere Port.
Neither the parents nor their son was injured in the incident at 9pm on Wednesday, April 29.
A fire alarm was activated and a 999 call made. Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a powerful fan to clear the house of smoke.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service will fit an alarm free of charge on request – call: 0151 55 3333 – and has issued the following advice about cooking.
Don’t leave children alone in the kitchen when cooking, keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach.
If you must leave the kitchen when cooking, take extra care to turn pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out, so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Spark devices are safer than matches of lighters to light gas cookers.
Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.