EIGHT people suffered burns after a rogue firework went disastrously off course during a firework display near Chester.
The accident happened during an organised Guy Fawkes night display at Old Hall Hotel in Huntingdon, just before 8pm.
Seven of the injured people were taken to hospital after the firework hurtled past a line of children and rows of spectators before exploding amongst a group of people.
Three women and four men were said to have suffered burns to the leg and chest, and were taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital.
A spokesman for Mersey Regional Ambulance said: 'The firework was about to go off when it fell on its side and went off towards a crowd.
'It was difficult for our ambulance crews because of the number of people who were there.'
No one from the hotel was available for comment.
Across Merseyside and Cheshire fire services described an increase in the number of calls.
Merseyside Fire Service took 600 hundred calls last night, compared to 150 on normal evenings, and ambulance services also said they were busier than usual.