A MAN escaped from a blazing house in Ruabon Road in the early hours of Monday after carelessly discarded smoking materials set fire to the living room.
Firefighters from Wrexham Fire Station were called to the mid-terrace property by a neighbour just after 4am, where they found the ground floor well alight and a man outside suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
Using two hose reels and four sets of breathing apparatus, they managed to bring the fire under control before 7am.
The living room was completely destroyed by the fire and there was 100% smoke damage to the remainder of the property. It was discovered that a hard-wired smoke alarm on the ground floor had been activated but the head of the alarm on the first floor had been removed and did not go off.
Fire and Rescue service spokeswoman Bethan Davies said: 'We cannot over-emphasise the importance of installing and maintaining smoke alarms. They give early warning of a fire which allows occupiers to escape from the property and call the fire and rescue service.
'Occupiers should never remove the batteries or tamper with the smoke alarms as they are vital in alerting residents to a fire.'
For further information on fire safety or for a free home fire safety check call the freephone number on 0808 100 2863.