A MAN died from hospital superbug MRSA only six days after routine pain killing injections.
An inquest was told Nigel Pritchard would still be alive if he had not opted for the jabs to ease arthritis in his knees.
Medics who later treated the 57-year-old at his home in Cefn Road, Wrexham, failed to spot he was seriously ill, claimed his partner Jacqueline Parker.
She is now seeking legal advice on what action she can take.
At the inquest in Wrexham, deputy coroner John Gittins told her: 'I am not here to apportion blame.'
But he added: 'The evidence of the pathologist supports the conclusion that the infection came from the injections at the hospital. It is entirely up to you if you take this further.'
He said common sense supported Ms Parker's feeling that if her partner had not gone to hospital he would still be alive.
Ms Parker wept as she told how the former brewery worker went to Wrexham Maelor Hospital on Tuesday, August 3, for an injection to ease pain in his left knee and decided to have the right knee done at the same time, although that was not necessary.
He fell ill after going home by ambulance but a doctor who was called out to see him at home didn't spot that he was dying, she claimed.
'He was getting vacant - not like the man I knew,' she said. 'He was just lying there. They said it would take a couple of days for the injection to settle down. One doctor came and didn't examine him or take his blood pressure. On Saturday night I telephoned another doctor and they came on Sunday with an ambulance.
'He never spoke again. On the Monday morning he died.'
Pathologist Dr Roger Williams said both knees were markedly swollen and acutely inflamed, with clear evidence of infection.
He found 'overwhelming infection' in the blood, kidneys, liver and heart which had caused multi-organ failure.
He explained: 'I found MRSA - now called the hospital super-bug - which is no doubt the cause of Mr Pritchard's death.
'I have a statement from Dr Mark van Liefland, who gave the injections. We have to take into account that he is an experienced surgeon who used a sterile pack and sterile needles.
'He rated the risk of infection in this procedure at no higher than one per cent.'
Recording a verdict of accidental death, the coroner said: 'Whatever procedures are done, there will also be an element of risk, and that is the same for minor procedures. He decided to have the injections and thought it was the right thing to do.'
North Wales NHS Trust said it had started a full investigation of Mr Pritchard's case.
This included reviewing procedures and screening all staff involved in his care and testing of injection material.