A FAMILY and their pet dog had a lucky escape after a chip pan caught fire in their home.
Firefighters from Wrexham were called to the house on Peter Street, Rhosllanerchrugog, just after 8pm on Monday.
The occupants, who had no smoke alarms fitted, were alerted by smoke coming from the kitchen and had to rush upstairs through the smoke to rescue their sleeping baby.
Firefighters had to then enter the property to rescue their pet puppy.
Crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, a thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation fan in the kitchen.
The fire caused smoke damage to the kitchen and minor smoke damage to the rest of the property.
Mike Hough, fire safety enforcement officer, said: “This incident once again highlights the dangers of chip pans. We are attending far too many incidents involving chip pans left unattended.
“In just a few minutes, the oil can overheat and cause the pan to ignite – fire catches hold quickly and can cause devastation to a property.
“My advice is to throw away your old style chip pan – thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers are far safer.
“There were no smoke alarms fitted in the property. It is vitally important to have working smoke alarms, which should be checked regularly – had this incident happened during the night when the occupants were asleep, this early warning signal would have been key to the family escaping safely. New smoke alarms have now been fitted in this property.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks, during which residents can get fire safety hints and tips and have new smoke alarms fitted where necessary free of charge. To register, call 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.