AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD boy from Caia Park has received an award from the Welsh Ambulance Service for helping to save his mother’s life when she collapsed.
Jake Mold, who attends Rhosddu Primary School, called 999 on New Year’s Eve when mum Janet Hughes suffered an epileptic fit and fell down the stairs.
She was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital by paramedic Sarah Pleavin and ambulance technician Julie Ward Smith.
Sarah said: “Jake was very level-headed and calm. He showed us where his mother was then stayed and listened to what we were doing and saying, he just took it all in.
“He didn’t panic at all, he was a real gentleman for someone so young. We are really pleased to recognise children who have acted in this way.”
Jake was presented with a plaque honouring his actions.
Acting Wrexham locality ambulance officer Jenny Lewis said: “It’s fantastic to see someone so young being so confident over the phone.
“I’m very proud to meet such a brave little boy.”
Clare Cookson, vice chairwoman of the Welsh Ambulance Trust said: “It must have been a very scary situation for him but he stayed calm and did everything right.”