A PET dog’s barking saved the life of a teenage girl after a fire broke out at a family home.
Jessie, a two-year-old black Labrador, started barking frantically when a blaze started in the living room of the house in Heol Llywelyn, Coedpoeth.
It alerted 16-year-old Rachael Appleby who was upstairs at the time as the house started to fill up with acrid smoke last Thursday at about 7.50pm.
She rushed downstairs to see what all the commotion was about and got out of the house with Jessie.
Her father John said: “I was out at work at the time.
“Jessie started barking, but it was a different type of barking to what she would normally do if, say, people were passing outside.
“Rachael came downstairs to see what was going on and got outside until the fire brigade came.
“If the dog had not barked the way she did then I think Rachael could have been in real trouble.”
Mr Appleby said they were relieved his daughter was unhurt and praised Jessie for saving her.
Fire chiefs said the cause of the blaze was carelessly discarded smoking materials.
There was severe fire damage to the living room and smoke damage to the remainder of the property.
Stuart Millington, who was in charge of the incident, said: “There were no smoke alarms and it was only because the dog started barking that the occupant went to investigate and came across the fire.
“The young girl who was in the property at the time of the fire has been very lucky.
“This fire highlights the dangers of discarded smoking materials. We would advise all smokers to ensure cigarettes are fully extinguished and ensure ashtrays are emptied into a heat resistant container outside their home.
“Again, this incident proves how vital it is to have a smoke alarm installed and maintained in your property.
“They do give early warning of a fire and allow occupants to escape and call for the fire and rescue service.
“If there were smoke alarms installed in this property the damage would have been far less as the fire and rescue service would have been alerted sooner.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers a free home fire safety check for everyone in North Wales in which they visit homes to advise on fire safety and install free smoke alarms where necessary.
To request a visit contact freephone 0800 169 1234 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.