NORTH Wales Fire Service is advising the public to take the necessary precautions when hosting or attending barbecues this summer.
Senior fire safety officer Dai Roberts said: 'A few basic precautions can ensure you have a safe and enjoyable barbecue.'
Mr Roberts advises the following guidelines:
* Use only the recommended fuel for lightning barbecues -petrol should never be used under any circumstances.
* Barbecues should never be set up near to property including garden sheds and outdoor furniture.
* The barbecue area should be kept clear of other items that could easily burn and aid fire spread.
* Never leave a barbecue unattended, especially when there are children around.
* When using gas barbecues, ensure hoses are in good condition and connections are secure to the gas bottle and cooking equipment. Gas bottles should never be placed near to heat.
* A fire blanket and extinguisher should be kept on hand to deal with an out of control barbecue.
* Barbecues should be cold before disposing of burnt charcoals and the manufacturers instructions should be read carefully and strictly followed before lightning.
* Never use a barbecue under the influence of alcohol.