A YOUNG woman had a lucky escape after her bedroom caught fire while she slept.
The 23 year-old from St David’s Terrace, Saltney Ferry, did not have a smoke alarm, and was alerted to the fire after a neighbour called the fire service.
Two fire crews from Deeside and Chester attended the scene at 4.23am on Friday, August 8 getting it under control by 5.18 am.
The fire, which was caused by unattended smoking materials, caused extensive heat and smoke damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the rest of the property.
Ian Williams, county operations manager, said: “There is no excuse for anyone in North Wales not to have a smoke alarm as the Fire and Rescue Service offer a free home fire safety check for everyone and will install smoke alarms where necessary.
“This service is completely free and I am urging everyone to request a visit by contacting our freephone number on 0808 100 2863 or e-mail email@example.com.”