A YOUTH football team are playing 'like dynamite' for their manager, who was paralysed in an accident.
Manager of Helsby Under-15s, Stephen Rizzotti, 38, was injured when half a ton of concrete fell on him while he was working in the cracker unit at Shell Stanlow.
Mr Rizzotti suffered chest injuries and broke both his legs, shoulders, ribs and pelvis. He is paralysed from the navel downwards but can still use his arms.
He works for SG Blair, a contractor to Shell, and devotes much of his free time to managing the team, of which his son, Josh, is a member.
His assistant manager and friend, Darren Ball, said: 'It was a shock to hear about what happened to Stephen - it is not something you expect to happen to someone you know.
'We have worked on the football team together for nearly eight years.
'We had to cancel games and practice and I got in touch with all of the parents to let them know what happened. The children were devastated and there were tears. A few of them, including my son, have taken it very badly.
'The kids have taken a really positive attitude on now and are playing amazingly, like dynamite.'
The under-15s have pulled off a string of fine results, thrashing Higher Bebbington 6-0 and Heswall 6-3. If they win their games in hand, they will be two points off league leaders Poulton Victoria.
Darren said: 'They were always an amazing team but now they are working extra hard and are winning in style. They are doing it for Steve.
'Steve is really lucky to be with us still and, while he may be in rehabilitation for some months, his attitude is the same as the kids'.
'He is very positive and can't wait to be back with us, even if he is in a wheelchair.'
Stephen's wife, Jayne, said: 'This has been a hard time for us all. Our youngest, Lucy, is dealing with it the best.
'He will be paralysed forever as the accident severed his spinal cord.
'Though he is in a lot of pain, he remains strong and positive, which helps me.
'We have received a lot of support from friends and family.'
Mr Rizzotti is currently being treated at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the incident and has visited the plant. Shell UK has also held an investigation.