INVESTIGATIONS are underway after a two year old Tarporley girl contracted E-coli.
The toddler was taken to hospital for tests last week when she experienced serious symptoms, after which it was revealed she had the dangerous E.coli 0157 infection.
She was sent home to recover from the illness.
But as a precautionary measure, her parents and older sibling have now been tested for the infection. The results are as yet unknown.
E. coli O157 is a bacterium that can cause infection of the bowel. It can be spread by contact with animals or infected meat products and it can also spread from person-to-person.
The incubation period is usually one to six days, with an average of two days. Symptoms include diarrhoea which is usually mild and settles within two weeks. However, a few people may have a more serious problems, including kidney failure.
Dr Joanna Cartwright, a consultant with the Cheshire and Merseyside Health Protection Unit, said: “We are not able to say at this stage where the child picked up this infection.
“But we are investigating in partnership with environmental health officers from Cheshire West and Chester Council and colleagues from NHS Western Cheshire.”
Tarporley parish councillor Ernest Boynes said: “It is believed that she may have contracted the infection after treading in dog mess somewhere in Tarporley and on arriving home, her parents found she had it on her hands.”
He added: “The problem of dog mess deposited in the village has been a matter of considerable concern to the parish council for years.”