Shocked passengers reported seeing a man pull a knife during a rumoured 'phone rage' incident on a train.

Commuters tugged on the communication cord as a man was seen going 'berserk' on board the Merseyrail service as it pulled into Bache station in Upton, a passenger said.

Two men, from the Wirral, were arrested at the scene and detained in custody, British Transport Police have now confirmed.

A 32-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon, while another male, aged 28, was arrested on suspicion of affray and common assault.

Both were released on police bail until January 7.

Passengers took to Twitter to ask what was happening as police swarmed the platform at around 7.25pm yesterday (Tuesday, November 25).


One commuter described a man being arrested at the scene, after allegedly pulling a Stanley knife on another passenger who went 'berserk' at him for being on the phone.

The incident, which happened on the 6.15pm train from Liverpool Central to Chester, saw the service delayed for 30 minutes at the station, which is close to the Countess of Chester Hospital.

It is believed that one of the men received a cut to his face during the incident, and that a staff member may also have been assaulted.


A tannoy announcement at Chester Train Station said the train was terminating there, as a member of staff had been assaulted on board, a passenger reported.

Passenger John Murray, who was travelling back from a meeting in Liverpool, was on the train when the incident happened in the middle carriage and said fellow commuters alerted staff by pulling the cord.

He described what others said they saw on the train, saying: "It seemed like a phone rage incident, when the guy originally refused to get off the other guy went berserk. Then the guy on the mobile pulled a knife on him."

A spokesman for British Transport Police said: "British Transport Police and colleagues from Cheshire Police attended Bache Station at around 7pm on Tuesday, 25 November, following reports of a fight on board a train.

"As a result of initial enquiries a 32-year old man from the Wirral area was arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon.

A second man, aged 28, also from the Wirral area, was arrested on suspicion of affray and common assault.

“If you saw the incident or have information that could assist police, contact British Transport Police on freephone 0800 40 50 40 quoting incident number 468 of 25/11/2014. Alternatively people can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”