CIVIC leaders have gone back to the drawing board in the quest to find a suitable site for Travellers.
The borough council wants to create a fixed caravan park in Ellesmere Port, and has so far looked at four possible locations.
Council officers had suggested Myrtle Street, off Merseyton Road, was the most suitable of the four, but members of the powerful overview committee disag reed.
Committee chairman Cllr Joe O'Rourke informed the full council on Thursday that Myrtle Street had been ruled out.
And the news was welcomed by ward councillors Kenny Spain and Jimmy Murphy.
Cllr Murphy said: 'We both made strong representations against the use of Myrtle Street as soon as it had been identified as a potential site.
'We consider it would have a detrimental effect on nearby properties and businesses and are pleased the overview committee agreed with our views.
'Unfortunately, it appears that someone has misunderstood the situation and is claiming the council has already agreed to use the site for Gypsies and Travellers.
'I can put residents' minds at rest and categorically state this is not the case.'
Now council officers have resumed the search for a suitable fixed camp, which would have toilets, showers, lighting and security. Once found, it would have to be approved by the council's planning committee.
Borough deputy chief executive Brenda Harvey said: 'We will have to consider all potential locations very carefully.
'Councillors have been concerned for some time about the number of unauthorised Gypsy and Traveller encampments in the borough.
'They have agreed there is a need for a proper permanent site but it will take time to work out what is needed and where it should go. This has to be done in a way set out by the Government.'