NORTHWICH Victoria have been booted out of the Nationwide Conference - and no-one will accept the blame.
Most fingers are pointed at owner Mike Connett. However, he said: 'It has nothing to do with me.'
The club's administrators Begbies Traynor, also believed by many fans to be at fault, said: 'We have done everything we were supposed to do.'
And the Football Association and Conference insist they are just applying the rules.
An appeal against expulsion will be heard shortly and it will then be up to the FA to decide what league Northwich play in next season - the Conference itself, one division down in the Conference North or even lower.
The announcement was made on Thursday, two days after Vics had been told the Victoria Stadium had passed a Conference inspection, and shocked fans and officials alike.
Up to 60 fans had worked tirelessly for a month to bring the ground up to scratch. Now those same supporters feel betrayed, but don't know who by.
The nub of the issue is that the club in administration did not have tenancy of the Victoria Stadium to hand over to Northwich Victoria (2004) Ltd, a new business formed by Mr Connett, which had a lease, but no Conference membership.
Because they reached the May 31 deadline as the 'old' club, they contravened an FA rule covering clubs in administration and Conference chiefs said the club could no longer remain in the league.
Sources say Mr Connett had been notified of what needed to be done, but the man who paid £250,000 for the club said: 'Nobody ever asked me for a lease for the old club. If they had I would have given one. I am dejected, fed up, after all the graft that has been put in to get the ground ready.'
David Appleby, of Begbies, said: 'I believe we have done everything we were supposed to and that Mr Connett thought he had done enough also.'
He confirmed Begbies had lodged an appeal which will be heard tomorrow.