A WOMAN escaped more serious harm from a toaster fire thanks to smoke detectors installed by firefighters last year.
The occupant of the house on Lache Lane in Chester alerted the fire service at 9.30am on Thursday after putting the toaster on and going upstairs and hearing her smoke alarm.
Crew manager Neil Harrison at Chester fire station said: “Due to an electrical fault it went on fire. We ask people if they are using a toaster that they bring it to the front of the worktop and keep an eye on them when they use them and don't leave them unattended.
“The fire service had fitted smoke detectors in her home last July.
“She went upstairs waiting for the toast to cook.
“She called the fire service and got out – she did the right thing.
“It was a very successful incident. She was alerted to it very early on and she got out safely.”
Crews used four breathing apparatus and one high pressure hose reel.