A sauna fire in Chester sparked up in the middle of the night.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went in to put the blaze out at an address in Hough Green in the early hours of Monday (March 14).

The occupants of the house were alerted to the fire after smoke alarms were set off.

Engines from Chester, Ellesmere Port and Tarporley were called out at about 12.38am.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said crews were on the scene at Hough Green for about two hours.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service

She said: “A thermal imaging camera was used to check the area for hot spots and a large fan to remove smoke from the area.

“Electrics were isolated and cladding was stripped to search for further fire spread.”