ARCHAEOLOGISTS carrying out a trial dig in advance of the revamp of an historic attraction came across the original Roman road.
Work is under way to improve access to the foundations of the Roman south east angle tower overlooked by The Off The Wall pub, on the inner ring road, together with better interpretation boards.
Archaeologists asked to ensure any underground remains were protected during the work came across the original Roman road just centimetres below the surface.
Project manager Magnus Theobold of Chester Renaissance said it was possible to see the pebble topping of the 2,000-year-old road which was ‘very nice’.
The refurbishment is a joint scheme between Renaissance and Cheshire West and Chester Council who aim to make the most of the city’s assets for the benefit of visitors and residents.
In future, wheelchair users and parents with pushchairs will find it easier to access the foundations because steps have been replaced with ramps.
A new path, seats, interpretation boards will be complemented by an architectural lighting scheme. There will be a new entrance opposite the amphitheatre to allow easier movement between the two attractions.
Originally, the Roman fortress had a tower at each corner. And these angle towers provided wide views across the surrounding countryside.
The foundations of the south east angle tower survive and were excavated in 1930. It would have been situated inside the curtain wall of the fort showing that the current wall and that of the Roman period differ slightly at this point.
Across the road, in the Roman Gardens, there are plans to install two Roman-style mosaics, with one commemorating the golden jubilee of Chester Civic Trust.