NEARLY half the homes in Halton have failed to take any measures against deadly carbon monoxide fumes, dubbed 'the silent killer'.
A survey by gas supplier Calor reveals a quarter of householders admit they had not thought about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.
A further one in ten admitted they did not know what measures they should be taking, with 17% confessing they had not got around to doing anything yet.
Calor spokesman Andrew Ford said: 'Carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 30 people in the UK each year with thousands more experiencing symptoms of intoxication, yet it is clear lack of awareness is still a problem in the UK.
'The number of cases of carbon monoxide poisoning is much higher during the winter months and it is vital people start checking their heating systems and portable gas heaters before they start using them as the cold weather kicks in.
'More than 70% of people we questioned admitted they hadn't had their boilers or gas appliances serviced, despite recommendations servicings by a CORGI-registered engineer should be carried out every year.' Halton woman, Lynn Griffiths, who runs charity CO Awareness, lost her husband to suspected CO poisoning and she and her children suffered effects of poisoning.
She has organised the first CO awareness week.
In Halton, the council, Age Concern and Halton Housing Trust are supporting the week which culminates in a balloon launch tomorrow at Runcorn Town Hall.
Lynn said: 'Carbon monoxide is the most common poison in the UK today. Deaths from CO poisoning are rising - everyone should be made aware of the dangers.'