A BUILDING in Waverton is getting a much-needed new lease of life following listed building and planning consent being granted.

The Grade II listed building is a well preserved and rare surviving example of a Victorian railway goods shed.

The proposed renovation will include re-roofing and repairs and re-decoration of the outside fabric. The interior will be upgraded to function as a modern office. The yard around the building will be landscaped and paved.

The goods shed formed part of the former Waverton Station, which opened in 1898.

Freight traffic on the line was always more important than passenger traffic, due to its rural location, hence the construction of the goods shed. Goods traffic continued until the station closed in 1965.