Newton Primary School held its annual swimming gala for year 5 and 6 children at the University of Chester swimming pool.
The gala on Tuesday, June 30, was a close fought affair, with only a handful of points separating the victorious team, the Red Snappers, from their rivals, the Blue Seals and the White Sharks.
Races were designed to cater for all abilities – from straight forward sprints and obstacle races, to those where floats were used and adult support was on hand.
Mrs Fisher, the school’s swimming teacher, was delighted with the attitude and effort from all those taking part.
She said: “Obviously it is satisfying to have helped and bring on fantastic swimmers and water polo players, such as Bet Bolton, Ryan Goulding, Jenny Lee and Georgia Williams, who have competed at national level, but it is even more rewarding to help those non-swimmers to take the plunge and learn to enjoy this amazing sport.”
Swimming has always been high on the agenda at Newton, where all the children participate in swimming lessons from years 3-6. As a result 95% of children leaving the school have surpassed the governments’ criteria of being able to swim 25 metres, whilst the remaining 5% are close to achieving this.