WAR clouds were gathering over Europe when Tony Ashworth was head boy at The King’s School in Chester.
Mr Ashworth held the position in 1938-39 – and 70 years later he returned for a lunch and tour of the school, now on Wrexham Road rather than in the city centre as it was then.
In Mr Ashworth’s day, the school was in Victorian buildings in St Werburgh Street, next to the cathedral.
He went on to serve with the Royal Artillery during the 1939-45 conflict.
Mr Ashworth toured today’s school, visiting the memorial stained glass window transferred from the original building and the roll of honour bronze tablets recording the former King’s pupils who died in the two world wars.
He then went on to view a small exhibition of old photographs of the school.
Mr Ashworth also recorded his memories of his school days, helping to create the first oral history for the school archives.