PECKFORTON Castle is back in business, with weddings and even a high school prom going ahead at the venue, despite still recovering from a devastating fire.
The venue welcomed Tarporley High School back to the castle for the second consecutive year to celebrate their Sixth Form Leavers’ Ball on Monday (June 27).
About 85 students attended the function and were said to be ‘delighted’ with the marquee installed in the castle grounds to accommodate the event.
The marquee was erected after the drawing room was destroyed in a fire on Sunday, June 19.
Managing director Chris Naylor said the standard of the marquee is higher than most.
“I’ve never seen anything like this marquee,” he said.
“It is simply stunning and will more than make up for the disappointment suffered due to the loss of the function rooms in the evening. “Weddings, conferences and private events I am certain will be more than delighted with it.”
Tarporley High School pupils were certainly thrilled and spent most of the afternoon putting the finishing touches to the beautiful room that can seat up to 180 guests.
Peckforton Castle thanked the school for choosing to return to the castle following last week’s dramatic events.
Chris Naylor said he had been “overwhelmed” by the amount of local support, adding: “The words and messages have been truly humbling.
“We are proud to be Tarporley High School’s venue of choice for another year despite all the concerns and worry they must have been experiencing last week.”
Max Kay, 36, of Waylands Drive, Hunt’s Cross, Liverpool, appeared at South Cheshire Magistrates Court in Crewe last week charged with arson intending to destroy or damage property and to endanger life, and also an alternative charge of arson being reckless as to whether life would be endangered.
Chairman of the bench Paul Eite remanded him until he appears at Chester Crown Court on July 26.