A male casualty suffered slight burns and smoke inhalation after a fire in his ninth storey flat on a Chester housing estate.
The householder made his own way out of the Nant Peris tower block in Blacon when the blaze broke out about 12.30pm on New Year’s Eve and was treated on scene by paramedics before being taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital.
Two fire engines from Ellesmere Port, one fire engine from Deeside and the hydraulic platform from Chester all attended.
On arrival, crews found the flat to be well alight due to cooking having been left unattended.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one main jet and a covering jet. A large fan was used to clear the smoke from the building. An investigation is under way.
Other residents remained in their flats, which are designed to contain fire, and an evacuation was not necessary.
Fellow tenant Angie Morgan, who lives on the fifth floor, said: “The guy is all right, God bless.” Ian Johnson, from the neighbouring Glyn Garth block, heard the injured tenant was called ‘Mark’ and understood he had singed his eyebrows and hair but was otherwise all right.
Cheshire police set up a cordon to keep the public out of danger during the firefighting operation.
Inspector Kevin Chambers said at the scene: “The occupant is out and is being treated by paramedics. There are no serious injuries.
“The fire has been contained to his flat. The flats are designed to contain fire so there was no need for an evacuation although that decision has been kept under constant review.
“Fire crews have been working their way floor-by-floor offering reassurances.”
A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed a male casualty was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital.
“The initial 999 call indicated the patient had suffered burns but a later entry on the log mentioned ‘smoke inhalation’.