A Little Sutton family’s beloved pet dog was left with horrific wounds after suffering a severe reaction to a jellyfish sting she got while walking at North Wirral Coastal Park in New Brighton.
Cassie, a five-year-old crossbread, used to love going to the beach and getting her paws wet in the sea, but she began vomiting a few days after a beach visit in May and soon an angry sore developed on her back which eventually led to her fur and skin falling off.
WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE INCLUDED BELOW
Owner Tricia Lynam, a sales and events assistant at Chester Zoo, initially believed Cassie’s illness was due to anaesthetic she received during a recent trip to the vet but when the wound appeared she rightly suspected her rescue pooch had been stung by a jellyfish.
‘Lovely’ Cassie is on the road to recovery thanks to a course of antibiotics and painkillers, but now Tricia wants to warn other dog-owners of the dangers of their pets coming into contact with jellyfish.
“I don’t want to scaremonger but as none of us knew what it was at first it may help to make people aware that this can happen.
“If other dog-owners see these symptoms in their dog it may help them understand what it is.”
Tricia added that she and Cassie will be sticking to woods and rivers for walks in the future.
The RSPCA say incidents like this are not common, but people should be vigilant when walking their dogs on the beach.
Rachel Butler, a press officer for the animal charity, said: “This must have been a very distressing incident for the dog and her owners and we hope that the dog is making a full recovery.
“Thankfully incidents like this are rare, however we would urge dog-walkers to take care when walking on the beach.
“If your dog is stung by a jellyfish then it is very important to seek veterinary treatment straightaway.
“Dogs are naturally curious, so if you see a jellyfish or a tentacle washed up on the beach make sure that your dog does not go near it as jellyfish can still sting when not in the sea.”