A householder was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a chip pan fire in his flat at around midnight.
Two fire engines were sent to the property in Cambridge Road, Kingsway, Chester, about 11.50pm last night (Saturday, August 22).
The fire was out before fire crews arrived but the flat was full of smoke. One male casualty was checked by paramedics for smoke inhalation and then taken to hospital.
Firefighters used a large fan to clear the smoke. Smoke alarms were sounding at the property.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service urges people not to use traditional chip pans, because they can cause fatal fires.
The service suggests alternatives such as oven chips, microwavable chip pans, using a thermostatically-controlled deep fat fryer or buying them from a chip shop.
A service spokesman said: “If you must cook chips in a traditional chip pan you should follow these fire safety tips.”
* Don’t cook after drinking alcohol
* Don’t throw water on a chip pan fire
* Don’t overfill a chip pan with oil - never fill it more than one-third full
* Take care when cooking with hot oil - it sets alight easily
* If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool
* Do not leave cooking unattended and avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob
*Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash
If the pan catches fire, don’t take any risks. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it. Don’t tackle the fire yourself but follow the fire service mantra: “Get out, stay out, call 999.”