A FAMILY is seeking compensation from a power company after a man died due to asbestos exposure.
Stanley Leeming, 82, of Hatchmere Park, Delamere Road, Norley, died on February 15 at Frodsham Care Home.
Recording a verdict of industrial disease, assistant deputy coroner for Cheshire Jean Harkin found Mr Leeming, who worked at the former Ince power station, died of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
Mr Leeming’s son Carl, who gave evidence at the inquest, confirmed civil action was being taken against power company EON.
Mr Leeming, an auxiliary plant attendant, worked at the site from 1956 to 1982.
The inquest heard from Mr Leeming’s former colleague Edwin Bennett, who explained that boilers were lined with asbestos lagging until the 1970s and there was exposure to ‘substantial quantities’ of dust.
Carl Leeming said his father’s work involved stripping lagging out of boilers, off turbines and “scraping” the insides of boilers. He said the working environment was “very dusty”.
A grandfather and great grandfather, Mr Leeming is survived by wife Joan, 71, his son and three daughters.